Kaypro Computer Configuration
Beyond the defaults used when specifying only the model string,
a configuration file may be created to specify more detail.
The file is plain-text with "property=value" lines.
The following properties are recognized:
- The Kaypro model to use.
Recognized model strings are described in the
The models are repeated here:
|10X||Kaypro 10 w/modem+rtc|
|2XX||Kaypro 2X w/modem+rtc|
- Override default monitor ROM image to use.
Warning, the ROM is usually closely tied to the model.
It is not the case that any ROM can be used on any model.
- Specify the file to send simulator messages to, default is stderr.
File name/path to desired log file. File will be truncated by default
each time the simulator starts.
Add an "a" argument after the file name to cause the file to be appended
(previous content preserved).
- Special debug property used to setup a trace operation before the
user can access the menus. For example, to trace the ROM code at "power on".
Use with caution, may result in a flood of output/log.
- Select the disassembly mnemonic style. Either "MAC80" or "ZILOG",
default is "MAC80".
- (keyboard) Specify the audio clip to use for the beep.
- (keyboard) Specify the beep volume, in percent.
Default will be 50%.
- (keyboard) Specify the rate to throttle input when pasting text.
Value is in Chars/Sec.
- (keyboard) Delay to use after pasting a CR. Value is in milliseconds.
- (CRT) Font to use for CRT display. Should normally be left to default,
based on model, for proper operation. JAR includes TTF fonts derived
from character generator EPROMs.
- (CRT) Size to use for CRT font. For default fonts, this must be a
multiple of 16 to get clean font rendering. Default is 16.
- (CRT) Color to use for display. Default is green, to match the CRTs normally
installed in Kaypros. String is a 6-digit hexadecimal value representing
an RGB value.
- (CRT) Color to use for "highlighted" text on the CRT. This is the color
used for the dim character attribute. Since differences in color intensity
can be difficult to discern, it may be advantageous to alter the color slightly.
Default is a slightly darker version of "kaypro_font_color".
- (floppy) Specify details on the type of floppy disk drive installed
("#" is either "1" or "2"). Strings are typically "FDD_5_25_SS_ST",
"FDD_5_25_DS_ST", or "FDD_5_25_DS_QT". Note that the drive type
must match the capabilities of the monitor ROM, as well as the model.
Default is chosen based on model. Second argument is an optional label
to use on the front panel.
- (floppy) Specify the initial floppy image file to insert.
This can be used to avoid the normal power-on sequence of timing-out,
inserting disk image, and performing a RESET.
By default, an image file will be mounted read-only, so add a "rw" argument
to make it read-write.
- (floppy) List of floppy image file "types" (suffixes).
Default is "logdisk". Multiple suffixes may be specified, but there
must be corresponding values in "kaypro_image_sufd". This only affects
the file names, not the actual required image format.
- (floppy) List of suffix descriptions that correspond to "kaypro_image_sufx".
- (winchester) Specify the HDD details. This should normally be left to
default, as the Kaypro ROMs did not allow for alternate HDD models.
- (winchester) Specify the HDD image file to use. Default will be "WD1002-1".
This file is a sector image followed by a 128-byte "header" that contains
drive geometry information.
- (printer) Configure what is attached to the parallel printer port.
Typically, this would be set to "Diablo630Parallel".
See Diable630 properties.
For more information on attaching to serial ports, see
Serial Port Configuration.